CORPORATION OF THE
TOWNSHIP OF NORTH HURON
The 2019 2nd tax installment for the Township of North Huron is due on Wednesday, June 26, 2019. Interest at 1 ¼% per month or any part thereof will be charged on unpaid accounts as of June 27th, 2019 and the first day of each month thereafter.
NOTE: Persons who have acquired properties and have not received a tax bill should contact the Municipal Office. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve a taxpayer from responsibility for payment of taxes, nor from penalty for late payment. Please contact the Treasury Department in regards to the various payment options available. Pre-authorized payment sign up forms are available HERE or at the Town Hall (274 Josephine Street, Wingham ON).
Director of Finance
Township of North Huron
The Finance Department administers the billing and collection of property taxes, grants-in-lieu, local improvements and the tax levy for the upper tier (County of Huron) and the school boards.
This involves working with mortgage companies and solicitors. Written notification must be received by the Finance Department indicating that future tax bills are to be sent to a mortgage company. Tax Certificates are available by written request at a cost of $50/roll number based on the most current assessment roll.
The interim billing is based on an estimate from the previous year and the final billing is calculated once the budget is adopted by council. The amount billed on the interim bill is subtracted from the final billing and the balance is divided into two payments. The final bills are usually sent out in August with due dates in September and November.
If you do not agree with your property assessment, you have until March 31st to make an official appeal to the Assessment Review Board (fees apply). The form can be obtained from the web site. You can also file a “Request for Reconsideration” of your Assessment to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) until December 31st. These forms are available on the web site or at the Municipal Office or contact MPAC at 1-866-296-6722.
The County of Huron has established a Tax Rebate Program for the purposes of providing relief from taxes on eligible property occupied by eligible charities. Forms are available online and at the Municipal Office.
Criteria and Eligibility
- Must be a registered charity under the Income Tax Act with an issued registration number by the Department of Revenue - copies must be supplied
- Property tax rebate reduction maximum - 40%
- Eligible property must be in the Commercial or Industrial Class
- Current Taxation year only eligible for rebate
- Includes eligible tenant
- An application for taxation year must be made no later than February 28th of the following year
- There are no arrears of property taxes owing by eligible charity
Tax Rebate Program for Vacancies in Commercial and Industrial Buildings
- The deadline for submitting application is February 28th of the year following the taxation year to which the application relates
- Form attached - available online here
- Payments processed by June 30th of the following year
For additional information and inquiries in regard to tax billing and payments, please contact our office as follows:
Phone: 519-357-3550 Option 1